Thursday, July 22, 2010

Serendipitous Chinoiserie


I love water lilies. They are so beautiful, and just the thought of them makes me smile and relax with pleasure. A natural image for one of my needlepoints?...More......It took me forever to get around to it. In fact, I didn't actually go from the wishing to the doing phase until I was trying to figure out what to do with some of those canvas scraps too big to throw out, but too small to be something all by themselves. I decided to do a patchwork purse, and work some needlepoint fragments into it. "Ohhhh, finally!, my chance to do some water lilies." Thus passed happy time searching the internet and my own photos for just the right image.

Located, worked up in StitchPainter (if you don't want white flowers, use other water lily flower colors, instead), and stitched, and...much to my surprise!...it came out kind of Chinese-y looking (more pronounced in the needlepoint than in the design, perhaps because I did pale coral-colored flowers...oh, the temptation to use up tag ends of yarn!).

Personally, Chinoiserie is not one of my favorite styles, but I still like the piece, anyway. To adapt a familiar saying, "It's a needlepoint only its stitcher could love!"

(P.S., the scraps are needlepointed, but is the purse sewn up yet? Naaaaah!)

1 comment:

Possibilities, Etc. said...

The flower for July - the sumbolism is wonderful for the lotus/water lily. The beginnings in mud at the bottom of the pond - then growing up toward the light to blossom at the surface. I love the use of it on Celadon porcelain, from which I adapt a lot of my painted canvases.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...